Tech Work Experience
- Independent consultant. My main client was a startup in the steel industry; where I made web-based calculation tools and software prototypes, made technical drawings, managed projects, and supervised marketing materials including print catalogs and direct email campaigns.
- I had one successful web app that was in live production from 2006 through 2018, and several other shorter-lived apps.
- Launched “Twinkler” a web-based toy that makes art from images. I wrote the engine, designed and built the site, made all the graphic elements and images, and wrote and illustrated the explanation sections (which I really like).
- Founder, Digital Alchemy, a web-development company specializing in data-driven websites for small businesses. Clients included Eileen Fisher, Compaq, Castrol, Rainforest Alliance and many small organizations including a financial news startup, a hi-fi speaker manufacturer, a jazz archive, and high-school debate organizations.
- In the early days, the web was “DIY”. We made our own versioned content management systems, asset management systems, authorization/authentication systems, form generation libraries, and so on, and administered our own servers. We used these frameworks, tools and systems in our client work and our own projects.
- Key independent projects included “FolioSpace”, a portfolio service for artists to showcase their work online, CocktailDB.com, a sophisticated cocktail recipe database using most of the frameworks mentioned above (still online, though not updated in 10 years).
- Founder and director of production at Coherent Light, a startup in New York City with a focus on audio/visual post-production work, video-graphics, and 3D animation.
- Coherent Light worked on a wide variety of projects including the production of the first demo reel for Autodesk’s 3D-Studio MAX, various short videos, films, commercials, and a web-based soap opera.
- After pivoting from videographics/audio-post to the web, we secured one round of venture capital to design and build a retail search engine. We were ultimately unable to raise a second round of financing, and closed up shop gracefully.
- Web developer, graphic artist at D3 Design in Kansas City, MO. Coded Kansas City Public Television’s first website.
- As a freelance web developer, I made the first corporate site for Porter Novelli, then the world’s fourth largest public relations firm.
- 24+ years experience in web development, back-end, front-end, deployment, and most associated technologies
- Prioritization on UI/UX and user- and task-focussed sites, including complex data exploration calculation tools
- 20+ years expertise with Python and server-side data-driven web frameworks on both relational (“RDBMS” or SQL) and object-store (“OODBMS” or “NoSQL”) databases
- 20+ years experience in Linux system administration (Debian/Ubuntu based) including cloud, virtual, and RaspberryPi
- 30+ years experience in computer imaging, digital photography, and graphics, including generated imagery, vector graphics, and 3D modeling/rendering/animation
- Python and server-side web frameworks (Pyramid, Pylons)
- Associated Python libraries: Mako templating, SQLAlchemy, requests etc
- HTML, CSS, SCSS, browser-based development/debug tools
- Digital imaging, including bitmap and vector: Photoshop, Lightroom, The Gimp, Imagemagick, Inkscape, CorelDraw
- Debian-based Linux operating systems (since before Ubuntu!), including deployment, command line expertise
- bash, git, vim, ssh (etc)
- NginX, Apache
- Google’s Cloud services (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Photos)
- Tools including Vim, ssh, version control, imagemagick, command line interfaces and shell
- Test-driven development and unit testing (pytest, nose)
- Imaging Tools: Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, others
- Parametric CAD/CAM: Autodesk Fusion 360
- Miscellaneous tools: VSCode, Git (and Github), Mercurial, SublimeText, DiffMerge, brew
- MacOS, Linux Desktops, Windows, Chrome, ChromeOS, Firefox, Android etc.
- Raspberry Pi platform (especially for hifi audio use)
- Strong interest in networked hifi audio (PulseAudio)
- Cloud hosting: Linode
- Databases: PostgreSQL, ZODB, SQLite, MS-SQL
- Front-end and client-side frameworks like Bootstrap, Vue
- Google AppEngine, AWS
- Docker, Vagrant, VirtualBox