- Launched “Twinkler” a web-based toy that makes art from images. I wrote the engine, designed and built the site, made all the graphic elements and images, and wrote and illustrated the explanation sections.
- Independent consultant. In recent years, my main client has been a startup in the steel industry; I’ve worked remotely, making web-based calculation tools and software prototypes, making technical drawings, managing projects, and creating marketing materials.
- Founder, Digital Alchemy, a web-development company specializing in data-driven websites for small businesses. Clients included Eileen Fisher, Compaq, Castrol, Rainforest Alliance and many small organizations including a financial news startup, a hi-fi speaker manufacturer, a jazz archive, and high-school debate organizations.
- In the early days, the web was “DIY”. We made our own content management systems, asset management systems, authorization/authentication systems, form generation libraries, and so on, and administered our own servers. We used these frameworks, tools and systems in our client work and our own projects.
- Key independent projects included “FolioSpace”, a portfolio service for artists to showcase their work online, CocktailDB.com, a sophisticated cocktail recipe database using most of the frameworks mentioned above (still online, though not updated in 10 years).
- Founder and director of production at Coherent Light, a NYC startup with a focus on audio/visual post-production work, video-graphics, and 3D animation.
- Coherent Light worked on a wide variety of projects including the production of the first demo reel for Autodesk’s 3D-Studio MAX, various short videos, films, commercials, and a web-based soap opera.
- After pivoting from videographics/audio-post to the web, we secured one round of venture capital to design and build a retail search engine. We were ultimately unable to raise a second round of financing, and closed up shop gracefully.
- Web programmer, graphic artist at D3 Design in Kansas City, MO. Coded Kansas City Public Television’s first website.
- As a freelance web developer, I made the corporate site for Porter Novelli, then the world’s fourth largest public relations firm.
- 20+ years experience in web development, back-end and front-end frameworks and most associated technologies
- specialist in Python language and server-side data-driven frameworks on both relational and object-store databases
- 30+ years experience in computer imaging, digital photography, generated imagery, vector graphics, and 3D modeling/rendering/animation
- 10+ years experience in Linux system administration
Honors, Awards, Memberships
- Member of Sector67 community hackerspace.
- named to Madison Magazine’s M-List of influential people
- speaker at “Pecha Kucha” on the theme “What keeps me up at night and gets me up in the morning.”
- 2012 & 2006
- USA delegate to Terra Madre and Slow Food International congress
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Wisconsin, Madison. Specialization in computer-mediated art and independent study
- Art History Study in Florence, Italy
Madison, WI 53704